Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Works 3.0 United States License.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Portraits of People Who Aren't Real

Yesterday, I headed down to the National Gallery of Art, mostly to see the current exhibit on Paul Gauguin (who I've decided was a bit of an illustrator, actually!)  But on the way, I stepped into the Chester Dale Collection exhibit, and I couldn't stop looking at this painting by Picasso.  I loved how stark and simple it was while still being exquisitely executed.  I needed something to kick my artist butt back into gear, and I think this did it.  With this great painting as inspiration, I've decided to do a few simple portraits of (what else?) some  of my favorite children's book characters.  Sketches today, pastels... next! 
Ethan from Summerland

Fern from Charlotte's Web

Margaret Rose from The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place

Sal from Walk Two Moons

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails