Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Works 3.0 United States License.

Friday, July 5, 2013

Illustration Friday: Protest


Several years ago, I started a little personal project I called "Portraits of People Who Aren't Real," a series of posed-portrait-style pastel renderings of my favorite children's book characters.  Click on the tag below to see the rest, including Fern from Charlotte's Web, Ethan from Summerland, and Sal from Walk Two Moons.  I drew a fourth sketch to complete the set, of Margaret Rose from E.L. Konigsburg's The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place, but never did it up in pastels.

Today, just a few months after Konigsburg (maybe my favorite middle grade author of all time) passed away, the topic at Illustration Friday is "protest."  This novel is all about a girl's protest for art, history, self-expression, and individuality over The Man that was the bland and self-righteous local homeowners' association.  If I weren't out of town and away from my pastels, I'd do this last portrait lickety split, because all signs point to I should.  Since I can't do that, I'm re-sharing Margaret Rose's sketch as a reminder to myself to finish this one properly someday soon.  Her story deserves revisiting.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails